Sands for Water Filtration
Sand filters are used to treat drinking water in many developed and well as developing countries and they work by using a complex biological film that grows naturally on the surface of the sand. The sand itself does not perform any filtration function but acts as a substrate. However the grading of the sand in filter beds is the most crucial element of any filter plant, which will determine the functionality and longevity of the plant. They are often the preferred technology in many developing countries because of their low energy requirements and robust performance.
Following are some of standard ranges of Filter Media Sand & Gravel we are generally producing:
|No.||Size (mm)||Effective Size (mm)||Hydraulic Size (mm)|
|1||0.425 – 0.85||0.44 – 0.54||0.522 – 0.64|
|2||0.50 – 1.00||0.522 – 0.64||0.62 – 0.76|
|3||0.60 – 1.18||0.62 – 0.76||0.73 – 0.89|
|4||0.71 – 1.40||0.73 – 0.89||0.87 – 1.07|
|5||0.85 – 1.70||0.87 – 1.07||1.03 – 1.254|
|6||1.00 – 2.00||1.03 – 1.254||1.224 – 1.50|
|7||1.18 – 2.36||1.25 – 1.55||1.50 – 1.78|
|8||1.40 – 2.80||1.40 – 1.705||1.62 – 1.98|
|1||2.00 – 3.50|
|2||3.50 – 7.00|
|3||6.70 – 13.20|
|4||13.20 – 20.0|
Moreover, we can produce any range, depending on the specific requirement of our customers.
Our company has in the last few years, developed a process which produces the Filter sand and gravel to all international standards including the British, American & Japanese standard specifications. It was for this reason that our material has been successfully used in the following projects:
- Simly Water Supply Project, Islamabad for P.W.T. Projects Ltd. (Now Peterson Candy) of U.K
- Khanpur Treatment Plant, Islamabad for Mitsubishi Corporation of Japan.
- North East Karachi water supply scheme to Peterson Candy of U.K (subsidiary of Black & Veatch International)
- Hub & Pipri Water Filter Plants for Karachi Water & Sewerage Board.
- M/s Zetas ATS foundation technologies LLC for their LIWA project in Abu Dhabi.
- The material is 100 % Silica Quartz with very minor impurities.
- The specific gravity is higher than required i.e. 2.63 as against 2.5 required.
- Higher weight does not allow the sand to be washed away during back washing.
- Hardness coefficient is around 7.5 as compared to the requirement of 4.5, which prevents abrasion during the back washing process, and this will prevent change.
- The shape of particle is cubical which makes is more efficient for filtration due to better interlocking process.
- The grading of material is very consistent and lies in the middle of the range allowed as per specifications.
We have the capability to produce and supply any grading according to the project’s unique filtration requirement. In the past we have produced sand and gravel with varying grading for several different projects. See testimonials here.
Our strategic location in Asia enables us to offer exceptionally competitive export prices all over the world; especially to Asian, Middle Eastern & European markets.click for quote and product info